There is more to enjoying your pleasure products than the actual act itself! It may not be the most glamorous or exciting aspect of our pleasure products, but it is one of the most important: Aftercare.
Aftercare is key to ensuring you, and your partner, have a positive experience that leaves you wanting more. When you take care of your new toys and accessories, they’ll last longer and perform better. Not to mention, proper cleaning and storage will help keep your toys free from bacteria reducing the risk of infection.
Here are three tips for toy use and aftercare that will leave you begging for more:
1. Hydrate & Lubricate! – When you’re dehydrated, your skin feels dry and irritated. Make sure to drink plenty of water before and after your playtime to keep yourself hydrated and your skin looking and feeling its best! Lube is also a great way to reduce friction and enhances pleasure. It also reduces the risk of infection and in some cases can even prolong the life of toys!
3. Keep it Clean! – Cleaning your toys is essential to keeping bacteria and dirt at bay. You should always clean your toys before and after use to reduce the risk of infection!
4. Store it Safely! – You should also store your sex toys in a cool, dry place. This will help keep them in good condition and free from bacteria.
How to clean your sex toys
- Most products can be cleaned by running them it under warm (not boiling) water.*
- Use a mild fragrance-free antibacterial soap or a specially formulated toy cleaner.
- Ensure the soap/cleaner has been applied to the toy and it is thoroughly cleaned all over.
- Rinse off any excess soap and ensure there is no residue.
- Dry your toy using a towel or wipe, making sure to avoid leaving any loose fibres behind.
- Take extra of any nooks or crevices which can be hot spots for harbouring bacteria and easily missed. If your toy has a lot of these then a foam cleaner should be your go to choice of cleaner.
- You can skip steps 2-5 and opt for sex toy wipes instead if you're in a hurry or on the go. A great tip with these, if you are using them to clean a small toy, snip the wipe in half and save the rest in the sachet for later.
*Be wary of submerging toys that are not labelled as waterproof!
How to store sex toys safely
Once cleaned and dry, deciding where to store your pleasure products is the next thing to consider. This may look different to different people and depends on factors such as who you live with, but there are a few steps you should follow no matter what.
- Keep your toys in place where they can’t easily gather dust or get dirty.
- Don’t throw them into a drawer where they could come into contact with more bacteria.
- Keep them out of direct sunlight and high temperatures - this can discolour the toy and damage the material. Ideally store them somewhere cool, dry and in the shade.
- Be wary of mixing toys of different materials as these can react and break down materials when laying side by side.
- Where provided, use the toy storage bag or consider investing in something like our lockable toy storage bag.
Follow these tips and you can be sure your toys will continue to deliver toe curling, spine-tingling sensations of pleasure for you and your partners for years to come.